On the hunt for a new petrol lawn mower? Wondering which is the best petrol mower? Wonder no more…
There are very few things in this world that can evoke memories of summers in the garden like the smell of fresh-cut grass. Beautifully maintained lawns bordered by new blooms always added to the excitement of spring and the promise of warmer weather.
I can vividly recall my Dad firing up the mower on weekends, it’s roar and petrol fumes mingled with the grass.
Best Petrol Lawn Mower Product Reviews
Powered by the reliable Briggs & Stratton Engine 300E Series, the Murray EQ200 is easy to use in any small to a medium-sized home garden. With a collapsible and 3 height adjustable ergonomic handle, it’s suited to even the smallest storage shed.
The EQ200 is incredibly versatile with six adjustable cutting heights and a handy 2-in-2 cutting system. This system simultaneously cuts your lawn and captures the clippings in the attached grass catcher.
- Briggs & Stratton Engine E-Series initiative uses reduced exhaust emissions.
- Catches all clippings as it cuts in a removable grass box. No added time to rake and tidy once you’re done mowing.
- Users reported this lawn mower as being incredibly easy to start, with the recoil start or ‘pull-start’ needing just one quick pull to fire the engine to life.
- Lightweight, making it easy to use and push around your yard.
- Some feedback pointed to issues with the mower not reversing well. The rear wheels easily gouging into the lawn.
- Not as suitable for a larger lawn. No self-propulsion so will require more physical exertion.
- Users commented that the grass clipping bag was fiddly to remove and reattach, leading to a mess of clippings being spilt.
Best Lightweight Mower
One of the more inexpensive and basic petrol lawnmowers out there, this option from Mountfield still gets the job done well. One tank cuts a large lawn, a medium-size lawn and two smaller ones.
A favourite in British gardens since 1962, there is no end of support should you need it via Mountfield’s national service network of garden machinery repair specialists.
The lightweight polypropylene deck means you don’t need herculean strength to push this mower around your yard. Best suited for a small to medium space, there is a 40-litre grass collector, 5 cutting height adjustment positions and fold-down handle.
- Weighs just 20kg, easy to manoeuvre around corners and not too heavy to push.
- Users report that the petrol engine is economical and reliable – starting first go every time.
- Inexpensive compared to the competition, but reviewers consistently rated it well and high performing.
- Handle height isn’t adjustable, not as many cutting heights as the competitors.
- Multiple users reported the wheels as being flimsy and hard to push.
- Not self-propelling or self-starting so this petrol lawnmower does need a little more exertion from the user.
Best for Rough Terrain
This easy to assemble and operate lawn mower from Einhell is a good all rounder that might be just what you need for your small to medium sized yard.
The easy electric start is battery operated, with the battery charging automatically when using the mower. Meaning no issues with charging. There are six available cutting height adjustment settings and the foldable, ergonomic handle has three height settings with soft grip for comfort.
- High set rear wheels with ball bearing mounting for smooth operation even in difficult terrain.
- 70-litre grass collector for extended mowing without the need to empty.
- Reviewers raved about its reliability, starting first go, every time and doing exactly as promised.
- Users did report this machine as being quite heavy and hard to maneuver.
- In some instances the electric starter battery didn’t charge during mowing as promised.
- Some feedback pointed to a slightly faster self propulsion speed than expected even on the lowest setting, harder to keep up with.
Best In Wet Condtions
Japanese automotive giant Honda offer a reliable and quality lawn mower with the Izy HRG 466. This self-propelled mower is built for medium to large gardens and able to handle sloped or uneven surfaces with ease.
It also features a unique cutting blade which is designed to twist rather than break if it comes against an unexpected object. There are an outstanding 8 cutting height adjustment settings to choose from ensuring you’ll always get the perfectly trimmed lawn.
- Feedback highlights how well this mower collects even damp grass into the grass box and cuts well through thick unkempt lawns.
- Special treatment applied to prevent corrosion, rust and UV damage. Adding to the machine’s longevity.
- Reviewers raved about this mower’s fuel efficiency and consistently great results.
- The fastest speed for this self-propelled mower was still reported as being quite slow.
- Significantly more expensive than some of the relative competition.
- Most users reported this mower to be heavy and complex to manage fuel and oil checks/changes.
Buyers Guide: Petrol Lawn Mowers
What Is A Petrol Lawn Mower And How Does It Work?
Petrol lawn mowers are one of the most recognisable home gardening hardware items. Gone are the days of painstakingly trimming your lawn with a push or ‘reel’ mower – which relied purely on manpower.
Modern lawn mowers are known as ‘rotary mowers’ consist of a small petrol motor that spins a horizontal blade at high speed to cut grass on contact. Most motors are four-stroke and use minimal unleaded fuel.
The blade is safely contained in what’s known as a deck, which also stops the cut grass, stones and sticks from being flung about. The deck sits atop four wheels, and the petrol motor sits on top of the deck. Add a handle with throttle/brake control and you have your basic lawn mower.
Some will also have a ‘catcher’ for the grass clippings. Simply start up the engine, and push the mower around to achieve a consistently cut, even lawn.
Types Of Petrol Lawn Mowers
There are two main types of petrol lawn mowers:
Push Petrol Lawn Mower
Still requiring some physical exertion to push the mower around, a push mowers motor only spins the cutting blade. Better suited to level yards and smaller spaces, they tend to be less expensive than self-propelled mowers.
As the name suggests, the motor in these mowers is also responsible for propelling the machine forward. Self-propelled mowers make for a much less labour intensive experience for the user. They are best for larger yards or sloped lawns where you’ll be glad of the extra help.
How To Choose The Right Petrol Lawn Mower For Your Home
You may think that just wandering down to your local hardware store and picking any old mower will be fine. It may be, but given it represents a larger financial investment and one you want to last, it pays to do your research.
There are some common errors many people make when choosing a lawn mower. To avoid these mistakes, you should be considering a few basic points.
Some of these points cross over with lawnmower types above. We will go further into additional features you may like further on.
Size And Type Of Lawn
Ensure the machine is big enough to manage the length of time required and the terrain you’re mowing. Check the cutting width and catcher bag size. As a guide choose 28-35cm cutting width for small lawns, for a medium lawn: 35-40cm and for medium/larger lawns 40cm upwards is ideal.
Push Or Self-Propelling
Are you willing and able to push the mower along, or would rather some help? If a push mower is fine for your needs, just be sure the weight of the machine is on the lower side.
Self Or Pull Start
All mowers will have the choice of self-start via an ignition button or pull start. Pull start can be a little trickier to get the hang of and requires some strength and exertion to fire the motor to life. Pull start can be a challenge, so consider who will be using the lawn mower.
Similar to the above, who will be using the machine, can they safely manoeuvre it? Even a self-propelling machine can be awkward to move when placing back into storage.
Of course you need to factor in what is a realistic price for your budget and work the other considerations around that and what is available. Expensive doesn’t automatically mean great, cheap might have you buying twice.
What Are The Advantages To Petrol Lawn Mowers And What Features Should I Look For?
One of the best things about having your own mower is how quickly and easily you can freshen up your lawn. No need to pay for a gardener, waiting for them to be available or to fit into your schedule. By choosing a petrol lawn mower over a more modern electric lawn mower, you are making it easier than ever.
Safety-wise, there are no cables to risk tripping over or accidentally cutting. Because there is no need to be tethered to a power source, you can mow wherever and whenever you need.
Additionally, petrol-powered motors are usually more powerful and effective than electric so your mower will be more likely to perform well time after time.
In addition to the base criteria above, there are some extra features you may like to consider:
- Safety, does it have an automatic switch off if the blade becomes entangled?
- Mulch catcher, do you want the grass clippings to be automatically collected in a grass box for disposal? Or are you okay with them remaining on the lawn?
- Height Settings will allow you to control how closely you would like the lawn to be cut. It is also handy when mowing areas with an uneven surface as you can set it higher to skim any raised areas. Consider how adjustable the handles are for user height comfort also.
- Warranty as with any machine, working parts means things can break or go awry. It’s a good idea to ensure your lawn mower has a warranty for at least 12 months.
So if you’ve decided on a petrol lawn mower for your yard and want to see what is available for your specific needs, read on to discover some reviews of our favourite products. Hopefully, we can help you make the right choice for your home.
Ultimately, the Murray EQ200 came out on top based on our reviews. It may not have quite as many bells and whistles as some of the more expensive models, however, it met the most important criteria. Lightweight enough at just over 25 kg that its lack of self-propulsion isn’t a huge issue.
Collapsible handle for storage and six adjustable cutting heights plus grass catcher for a consistent, clean cut. It offers the best number of necessary features in a quality product without breaking the bank. The added bonus of the two-year warranty only adds to its appeal.
This option combined all our must-have aspects of petrol mowers we reviewed into one reliable machine. Based on user feedback it performed better than expected with more than 80% of reviews awarding it 4 stars or more out of 5. The Murray EQ200 is the ideal machine for a standard back/front yard and is suitable for even the most inexperienced gardener.
Petrol Mower Sale Checker
Live feed from Amazon checking the latest deals available with the biggest savings.