Are you looking for exterior paint for wood? If yes, then you are exactly in the right place. Most of us have small home gardens or fences around our house. However, just like other material wood is also prone to damages if you don’t take care of it properly.
Though it does not require a lot of effort. All you need to do is find paint for outdoor wood. Whether it be fencing or even your home garden shed, once you apply the paint it will protect the surface from harsh weather conditions.
Selecting the right exterior paint for your surface can be challenging due to the number of exterior wood paints on the market. We have researched the options available for outdoor wood on the market and reviewed the best products. During our research, we have the best exterior paints for outdoor wood.
Best Exterior Wood Paint Product Reviews
The Rust-Oleum 750ml universal paint comes in a decent can. The can is made of a material that does not react with the paint and keep it fresh all the time. It can be a perfect solution for protecting your treehouse, fencing or anything from corrosion. The best thing about Rust-Oleum paint is that it can be applied directly to wood, metal, plastic and even ceramic.
The formula also makes the pain suitable for non-ferrous and galvanized metal, cool, isn’t it?
- Apply 1-2 coats of the product with a suitable brush or roller
- Coverage – Up to 9m2/litre.
- Touch dry in 2 hours. Handle after 8 hours.
- Apply a second coat after 16 hours if necessary.
- Full hardness after 7 days.
- Large selection of brilliant colour and great coverage – the 750ml tin goes a long way
- Can be applied to a variety of objects without any issue, many users reported works extremely well on front doors
- Best results on plastic-coated objects
- Dries quickly, you don’t have to wait for longer
- Harmful for aquatic organism
- Some users reported incredible fumes when used inside the home
Best for Quick Drying
Can protect your exteriors from the hazards of UV radiation. The Dulux weather shield quick dry satin paint can be good for your exterior surfaces. It is water-based paint that offers a 10 years of weather protection guarantee. The rainproof formula of the paint no only helps in providing protection from the sun, but also rainwater.
Dulux weather shield does not require a lot of time for drying. Simply apply the paint and wait for a while. You are going to see amazing results after applying it to different objects.
- 2 coats required
- Coverage – Up to 16m2/litre
- Drying Time – Leave 6 hours to dry.
- Newly painted doors and windows should not be closed until paint is fully dry.
- Quick-drying time of 6 hours with a satin finish
- Amazing selection of colours to choose from
- Harmful to aquatic life with long-lasting effects
- Some people reported the Dulux coverage to be ambitious and can fall short
Best for Durability
If you want to protect your garage floor or just any other exterior wood consider the Ronseal garden paint. Its 750ml can will be enough for your whole wood painting project. However, you can always go for more if your project is a bit bigger. The paint is made of high-quality ingredients that make it super durable.
The rainproof design of the paint gives it an ability to protect from corrosion. The paint itself resists cracking and peeling. This quality of the paint makes it long-lasting which saves your time, cost and efforts. You can apply it to metal, terracotta, brick or stone without any problem.
- Coverage Up to 12m2 per litre
- Drying time – Four hours
- Coat time – Four hours
- Coats – Three
- 1 tin easily covered an old garden bench in 3 coats
- Nontoxic and safe for both plants and animals
- Thick and easy to apply but the first coat can be watered down
- Easy to clean with soapy water
- Despite being bright and attractive, it sometimes dries to shades to a colour
Best Boating Paint
The TA Paints Marine boat and barge paint are one of the highest quality paints. If you are looking for ways to protect your boat from corrosion this will surely help. The polyurethane compound combined with white spirit works like a charm against water splashes.
The oil-based paint features amazing thickness and it is quick to dry. Once you apply it to your boat all you need to do is to wait for about 90 to 120 minutes.
You will be amazed how quickly this paint dries and starts protecting the boat from corrosion. Oil-based paints create a more durable finish.
- Dry Time: Touch Dry in 90 – 120 Minutes
- Overcoat 12 – 24 hours
- Two coats recommended
- Full Dry in 7 Days
- Coverage 8-10 squared meters per litre
- Easy to apply and dries fairly quickly
- Not only for boating, this paint can be used on all exterior wood surfaces, producing great deep colours
- Can withstand Saltwater, normal rain it should take easily
- Some reviewers have reported a strong smell
Best All Weather
We have already talked about the Ronseal. The WPGS750 is one of the best weatherproof wood paints. If you are up for protecting your wood garden furniture from the hazards of weather then this will surely help. The paint is made of a material that resists reacting with environmental hosts. No matter if it is raining or snowing this exterior wood paint will keep protecting.
According to Ronseal, the paint will last for 10 years and they are right about their product. It is perfect for both bare wood or even previously painted wood. The intelligent chemical formula of the paint allows it to flex. This flexing prevents cracking or blistering thus making the paint last longer.
- Coverage: 13.0m² covered per litre
- The number of coats: 2.
- Application: Brush.
- Drying Time: 1 hour.
- Large selection of brilliant mixed colours and great coverage – the 750ml tin goes a long way
- Not an overly gloss finish
- Weatherproof in 1 hour
- Few users reported peeling after only 6 months
Cuprinol is known for producing a lot of garden paints. Their products are used by people living in different parts of the US and the UK.
The paint promise to provide value for its price. It is very suitable to paint outdoor wood as well as other properly primed surfaces. The product dries to a matt finish that improves the natural grain of the wood. It is available in a huge variety of colours giving you the opportunity to select your favourite one.
- Coverage Smooth surface planed wood – 1L covers up to 10-12m²
- Coverage Rough sawn wood – 3-5m²
- Spray: 2-3m²Coat time – 8 hours
- Drying – Touch dry in 1 hour
- Allow a few days before heavy use or contact with soft furnishings
- Provides 6 years of protection on wood
- Can be applied to all kinds of exteriors
- Water-based product applied with a brush or spray
- Drippy nature due to its watery consistency
Exterior Wood Paints – Buyer’s Tips
Before you start painting exterior wood here are some of the most important tips that you need to know. These points will ensure you get the best type of paint for your wooden surface. It will save your time, money and effort.
The durability of the paint is the most important. It is because you want it to provide protection to your wood. If the paint itself is not durable enough and it wears out easily it is simply not worth it.
We want our houses, sheds and fences to be protected from the hazards of weather and environment. Make sure the paint you buy flexes with the wood. Flexing of the paint gives it the ability to resist blistering or even peeling off.
The drying time is also one of the important points to be noted. Make sure the paint you apply to your wood is quick enough to dry. You can not wait for days to let the paint dry. It is because most of the paints contain chemicals that smell awful. As long as it remains wet living in the area where you painted will feel like hell for some people. It may even trigger allergies to those who are allergic to sharp smells.
However, if the paint dries quickly then it will solve most of these problems. Paints that are quick in drying are usually the best because they can sustain environmental challenges right after a few minutes or hours. They will provide protection against water, snow or even dirt
Easy To Clean
There are paints that are just not water friendly. We are living in a world where we will have interaction with dirt no matter how much clean the area is. There is a very high chance that our walls, fences or even roofs will get dirty.
Even if dirt does not fall on it sometimes accidents happen. Sometimes children may spill the tea on the wall. Or passing by bird may feel the urge to poop on that beautiful looking wood fence. All these issues will ruin the beauty of your paint.
Now if your paint is not easy to clean then you are in trouble. Because as soon as you start cleaning it with a damp cloth it will start to peel off. However, if your paint is easy to clean then things will be very easy for you. You can simply take soapy water and a cloth and clean the paint giving it a look it was having before.
Exterior Wood Paint Sale Checker
Live feed from Amazon checking the latest deals available with the biggest savings.