If you want to make sure that your furniture looks as good as possible, then you need to find the best paint for furniture. At the same time, there are a lot of options for furniture paint. How can you choose the best one? There are a few key points to keep in mind.
Best Paint For Upcycling Wood Furniture Top Picks
Best Furniture Paint Product Reviews
Shabby Chic Furniture Paint: The Best Overall
Shabby Chic Furniture Paint is a great option if you are looking to renovate and transform your furniture. This water-based paint doesn’t have any odour, making it great for anyone who is looking for paint that will not irritate their lungs or nasal passages.
Water-based with a matte finish, this paint can be applied directly to your wood furniture, completely transforming its appearance.
With two coats, this paint can also be used to create contrasting colours, particularly if it is followed up with some sanding or waxing after the paint has dried, which usually takes place in around two hours.
Once the paint has dried, you can use sand or score to create a unique appearance for your furniture. Suitable for use both inside or outside, this is a strong choice for upcycling furniture.
Some of the key benefits of Rainbow’s Chalk Furniture Paint to note include:
- This water-based paint does not require a primer, so it can be applied directly to the furniture to complete the job
- The paint can be applied either with a brush or roller directly to the bare wood, making it straightforward to use
- After the paint has dried, it is possible to lay on a second coat in a second colour to create a unique, distressed look
- This paint takes a little bit longer to dry than some of the other options
- If the wood is not sanded before painting, the coat may look uneven
Rainbow’s Chalk Furniture Paint is one of the top choices on the market today
Hemway Chalk Paint: The Best for an Environmentally-Friendly Paint
Hemway Chalk Paint is made in Britain with natural, eco-friendly ingredients, making it ideal for anyone who is looking for an environmentally-friendly paint option.
It is safe, easy to use, and water-soluble. It has been certified to the top safety standards in the EU, which are EN 71-3 + A1.
Furthermore, this paint can be applied directly to wood furniture for an easy, straightforward application.
Finally, this paint also creates a long-lasting matt finish. After applying this paint, you can even sand or score the furniture to create a distressed finish.
- Hemway Chalk Paint has been made using natural ingredients, limiting the impact that you have on the environment
- It is quick and easy to use, featuring a fast drying time
- Only a single coat is needed due to its high pigment to water ratio
- This is one of the most expensive options on the market
- It is not as durable as some of the paint choices
Hemway Chalk Paint is ideal if you want a paint that is great for the planet.
Rust-Oleum Satin Furniture Paint: The Best for a Quick-Drying Paint
Rust-Oleum Satin Furniture Paint has been designed to provide furniture with a silky smooth touch. Featuring elegant patterns with calming shades, this paint will work well with just about any type of furniture.
There is no priming necessary, allowing you to upcycle your furniture in a straightforward manner. You also do not need to sand your furniture before you use this paint. It even works great on toys over old paint or varnish, making it great for children’s toys as well.
The main advantage of the Rust-Oleum Satin Furniture Paint is that it dries quickly, allowing you to apply another coat in a matter of a few hours if you must.
- This paint will be touch-dry in an hour, allowing you to apply another coat quickly
- It has been certified safe for toys in addition to furniture, making this a versatile paint selection
- This water-based paint doesn’t have any odour at all, preventing it from irritating your nasal passage or lungs as you work
- The paint coverage is not as great as some of the other options, so you might need more paint to get the job done
- The hues are not as sharp as some of the other paint choices
Rust-Oleum Satin Furniture Paint is a great option if you want to complete your job as quickly as possible.
Johnstone’s Revive Chalky Furniture Paint: The Best Value Buy
Featuring some of the lowest prices on the market, Johnstone’s Revive Chalky Furniture Paint is tough and durable. It lays on a layer of paint that is scratch-resistant. With a formula that is easy to apply, it is simple to transform the look of just about any furniture.
It can also be applied to household accessories, making this a versatile paint option. It also dries relatively quickly, shortening the time it takes for you to complete your paint jobs.
- This is one of the least expensive choices available today
- This is a durable paint that will protect your furniture from scratches
- You can also use this same paint on your household accessories
- This paint is only available in five colours, limiting your choices
- It does not spread as smoothly as the other options
If you are looking to save money on your painting job, then Johnstone’s Revive Chalky Furniture Paint is for you.
Finding the Right Furniture Paint
If you want to find the right furniture paint, then there are a few points to keep in mind. These include:
The Light Reflection
You need to think about the amount of light that the paint is going to reflect when you finish it. A few of the most common type of paint options include:
- Flat paint does not have any resin in the formula and will not reflect much light, giving it a matte or velvet appearance. This paint will not stand up to much touching or washing, so it is important to keep this in mind.
- Satin finish reflects a small amount of light and might resemble eggshells. If you need a matte finish but want something that is more durable, then go with a satin finish. There are washable options available as well, making it easier to clean.
- Semi-gloss is one of the most popular furniture finishes because it reflects light well and stands up to routine wear and tear, including cleaning. With a higher concentration of resins, it will be a bit shinier.
- High-gloss adds character and drama to the furniture but also requires a lot of preparation. This is the most durable option when it comes to furniture paint but the bright shine will also amplify any imperfections in the furniture itself.
Think about how much light you want the paint to reflect before making a decision.
Choosing the Right Color for Your Furniture
When you are trying to figure out which colour you want to use for your furniture, there are a few key points that you should note. These include:
- Scale: Think about how large the furniture piece is. In general, the smaller the furniture piece, the bolder the colours can be. Using sharp, bold colours on large pieces of furniture will overwhelm the room.
- Style: You should also think about whether the furniture piece has curves and angles or sharp, straight lines. If the furniture piece is sharp and simple then go for a plain, neutral colour.
- Tone: Are you going to paint the entire piece or do you want to leave some wood exposed? This can help you guide your colour choices as well.
Thinking about these questions ahead of time will help you find the right colour scheme for your furniture.
Precautions When Painting Wood Furniture
When you start painting your wood furniture, a few of the key precautions to take include:
- Always check to make sure you do not need any primer
- Turn the furniture upside down and paint the underside first
- Do not paint if the conditions are too cold or too humid, as this will drastically impair the final appearance of the piece
- Make sure that you provide the furniture with enough time to dry between coats
- Always use paint brushes that have been designed for wood furniture
Thinking about these precautions first will help you achieve the best possible results.
Deciding on the Best Paint for Upcycling Your Furniture
In the end, the clear winner is the Rainbow Chalk Furniture Paint. Rainbow Chalk Furniture Paint is water-based, so it will not irritate your airways as you paint. It can be applied quickly to just about any wood furniture and does not require any primer before it is applied.
Furthermore, it is available in a wide range of colours, making it easy for you to tailor your look to meet your needs. Even though Hemway Chalk Paint is a solid runner-up thanks to its sustainable design, it simply is not a durable paint like Rainbow Chalk Furniture Paint and is significantly more expensive.
If you decide to give an outdated piece of furniture a lick of paint then you need the best paint for furniture, which we believe Rainbow Chalk Furniture Paint is a perfect paint, but any option from this list.
This is also available in: US