You can change the look of the exterior of your home by applying a fresh coat of paint. The selection of the best paint goes beyond picking the right shade. It is crucial to consider both the quality as well as the substance you choose to use.
While brick and mortar are the most commonly used building materials however, there are a few exterior paints that can be used in conjunction with these materials. It is often difficult to select the best paint from the numerous options available.
Our team of experts tested the top-rated colors for masonry for UK homes to help you select the best product. Take a look at our top choices.
|Link||HQC Smooth Masonry Paint*||Dulux Trade Weathershield*||Johnstone's Paint for Bricks, Tiles and doorsteps*||Drylok Masonry Waterproof*|
Price incl. VAT., Excl. Shipping
Price incl. VAT., Excl. Shipping
Price incl. VAT., Excl. Shipping
Price incl. VAT., Excl. Shipping
|Get Latest Price*||Get Latest Price*||Get Latest Price*||Get Latest Price*|
All products in this article
- [ Best Masonry Paint ] HQC Smooth Masonry Paint
- [ Best Budget Masonry Paint ] Dulux Trade Weathershield
- Johnstone’s Paint for Bricks, Tiles and doorsteps
- Drylok Masonry Waterproof
- Rustins Masonry Paint
Best Masonry Paints In More Detail
HQC Smooth Masonry Paint
It's almost impossible to find a masonry paint that is able to withstand the British weather. HQC Masonry Paint sets an unbeatable standard. We gave this paint our top pick despite its limited coverage.
Acrylic resin is the base material used to create the paint, which offers unbeatable weather protection and durability. The waterproofing technology prevents outside water from leaking into the walls. It keeps the interior of your house clean and comfortable. This isn't the sole benefit.
The formula for this paint is water-based and environmentally friendly and non-toxic. There are a variety of options in terms of the color you choose. There are 32 colours that look stunning on walls. Certain colors might dry differently as you might think.
We also appreciated the price for value. Tins are available in various sizes and is a great value in comparison to other items available.
It is possible to apply the masonry paint using the method you prefer. The paint can be applied using a roller, sprayer or brush. The paint is extremely thick and isn't prone to drip.
- The product is easy to use and is quick to apply and coated again in just four hours, based on the temperatures and humidity.
- It is simple to maintain and has a high resistance to scratches and dirt. It can be cleaned using a soft sponge or mild detergent.
- Thinned paint is a great option to seal unfinished surfaces. To make a more traditional spraying application, the paint is able to be thinner.
- It's rare to come across a product with this much coverage. One coat will typically completely cover your body and last for a long time.
- One litre of paint will be used to cover just 6m2, which could be the reason for the low price.
- The colors in the tin might not be precise. They are only indicative. Paints can dry in a range of colors and are often darker or lighter than you would expect.
Exterior walls are among the highest-quality and affordable products.
Dulux Trade Weathershield
Dulux Trade Weathershield is a well-known brand for top-quality exterior emulsions. The acrylic resin cures and forms an impervious weather shield that is resistant to water. It also maintains its attractiveness, regardless of what the elements be able to throw at it.
The speedy drying time of the product is among its greatest features. The product is designed to withstand the changing conditions of weather and is able to dry within a half-hour. Although we suggest painting your exterior during sunny days, this product won't wash off when the weather changes.
Weathershield's anti-fungal formulation keeps the fungus, lichens and algae off your walls is another feature we like about it. This makes the paint last longer and also reduce maintenance.
The color selection is a fantastic feature. Pure Brilliant White paint can be tinted, and there are 1 434 colors to choose from. The wide color palette is able to match any style regardless of whether you're seeking a classic hue or a contemporary shade or something more contemporary.
Tinted paints may be inconsistent. This is the reason it is crucial to be able to use enough paint.
- Paint that is eco-friendly can be used for up to 16m2/litre. It is available in 7.5L containers 5L, 10L and 5L tubs.
- The paint is available in seven pre-mixed colours and an array of tintable colors.
- Two coats are typically required for a complete coverage. The paint can be re-coated in just four hours. If your walls are in good shape and have been painted with a similar color to the original color One coat may suffice.
- It can be applied with an ordinary sprayer or used as a sealant for bare surfaces.
- If the paint is used according to instructed, the durability will be guaranteed for 15 years. The paint is covered by a two-year warranty.
- Sometimes, the colour may appear inconsistent. It is recommended to mix the paint in a larger tub in the event that you own multiple tins.
It is weatherproof and can be utilized on various surfaces. It is perfect for driveways and paver.
Johnstone’s Paint for Bricks, Tiles and doorsteps
Johnstone's Doorstep Paint is an excellent product to look into if you are interested in experimenting with various colors. The paint is of exceptional quality. It is suitable for pavers, bricks, stones, and slates, as well as roofing tiles and unglazed tiles.
The matte finish gives the product a contemporary, elegant look with non-slip properties. The masonry paint is weatherproof and shields against damages. It can last for many years without chipping or flaking.
The most appealing feature of this paint is its user-friendliness. It has a smooth consistency that is simple to apply using the help of a roller or brush.
We also appreciate the quick drying time, despite its solvent-based formula. Johnstone's Doorstep Touch is able to dry within a half-hour. If needed the coating can be changed within two hours.
- The superior power of the covering ensures satisfactory results in just one coat. Based on the porosity of the surface the coverage could be as high as 10m2/litre.
- The product can be utilized on many surfaces, such as driveways and pavers.
- If the paint is applied to an already painted surface it is not necessary to prime. The paint may also be applied as an undercoat on unfinished surfaces.
- There's only one colour available only one color is available: matt red. To find a variety of colors you'll need to search for a different color.
- The paint is available in 750ml Tins. It is possible to use a small amount of the paint for a large project, but it's advised to have several containers.
Waterproofer for interior and exterior walls constructed of latex
Drylok Masonry Waterproof
Drylok is not an actual paint, but rather it is a colored mortar water-proofer. It is a great way to stop water from infiltrating your exterior as well as condensation issues within your home. It can be used in laundry rooms, bathrooms as well as kitchens, basements and bathrooms.
According to the manufacturer, the product is able to stand up to 10 pounds of hydrostatic pressure. While we didn't test Drylok however, we did test it against heavy rain. We and the users who tested it were both pleased with Drylok's performance.
We also love the latex-based formulation. It is virtually undetectable smell, and is in compliance with all VOC regulations. It is suitable for use in closed areas and is suitable for pet as well as children after drying.
The product's breathability was an important benefit. Drylok was created to stop water from getting into the building, however it doesn't hold moisture inside the brickwork. It also stops mold growth, but also growth of algae and lichens.
After drying, you are able to clean the product using hot soapy water. The undercoat comes in a range of colors and is easy to apply on its own without the need to add any decorative paint.
- Drylok Waterproofer stops the infiltration of water and radon gas leakage by decreasing vapour transfer.
- You can rest assured of the quality of your product with a transferable 10 year warranty. To get the warranty to work you need to apply at minimum two coats.
- It is possible to apply the product using any method you like. In the initial coat, it is recommended to apply the product using a brush or roller.
- You can pick from a range of colors. You can pick from four pre-mixed colours and tint the product with six different colors.
- Waterproofer is able to cover up to 9 square meters. It is suggested to apply at minimum two coats. Tins with capacities of between one and nineteen Liters are available.
- It will dry in around two hours and be coated again in three hours.
- The product is very expensive and it is difficult to justify the price.
- A few customers complained that water continued to leak through the walls despite the waterproofing. We suggest that you follow the guidelines and then take advantage of the warranty to address any problems.
You can pick from four colors, and they’re fast drying. This product is perfect for small projects of redecoration.
Rustins Masonry Paint
Rustins Quick Dry masonry paint is fast drying and is suitable for both exterior and interior walls. It is also suitable for bricks, tiles that are not glazed, cement, and even stone. It comes in 500ml and 250ml tins. This paint is ideal for small projects of redecorating.
The water-based formula, which is non-toxic and also eco-friendly is one of our top features. It is simple to apply the paint using the help of a paintbrush or roller and is simple to wash the brushes once the work is completed.
It's also crucial to keep the consistency. While the formula isn't non-drip, it is very simple to use due to its viscosity.
The modern matt finish has an additional benefit in addition to the option of color. It is possible to mix and match the neutral choices with a range of wall colours for exterior walls.
- The application process is simple and quick thanks to the fast drying formula. The product's touch can be dried in less than 30 minutes and then coated again in four hours.
- A single coat is usually able to produce satisfactory results because of its power of coverage It can be used to cover up to 14m2/litre.
- The exterior is an elegant matt finish which gives it a stunning appearance. It is also easy to keep clean. It is possible to clean the paint using mild detergent.
- If you're installing brickwork or mortar to walls that have been painted before it is not necessary to prime the wall.
- Certain masonry paints may not work with Quick Dry from Rustins. Verify compatibility with masonry paints in the event that your walls were painted before. If Quick Dry isn't compatible, it may peel off or flake off.
- It is important to stir the paint thoroughly prior to and after using to prevent the paint from forming a matte.
Popular Masonary Palettes
If you pick the right shade applying a fresh coat of paint will instantly increase the appearance of your house. While trendy colors such as chartreuse and purple seem attractive, trends change constantly. We suggest choosing a more traditional and timeless color palette, unless you plan to paint your house every year.
Beige, cream, and brown are classic earth tones that appear contemporary. They can be combined and matched with ivory or white for an improved look for your masonry construction. You can also employ contrasting greys for an elegant, refined look.
The most popular colors for coastal areas are white and blue, however, you don’t have to adhere to these colors. Sand is a better option over white. You can use turquoise in place of blue.
Although red can be appealing in rural areas but it’s not the most appropriate choice for every situation. A reddish-copper shade is an ideal choice if you are looking to maintain the brick’s appearance. It is also possible to think about green for rural or urban settings.
While it might sound a bit daring to mix white and black but the combination is effective. This is especially true for dark greys mixed with ivory, white or other neutral colors.
We suggest that white is utilized as an accent color instead of the primary color. It’s not ugly however it’s more difficult to keep in good condition. High-quality white paint that is waterproof will last for a long time.
The most sophisticated waterproof technology ensures unrivalled longevity and durability.
How to paint concrete and brick
Materials for painting paint concrete or brick
- Mortar, bricks paint for masonry
- Masking tape
- Sanding paper
Tools for painting brick or concrete
- Roller tray
- Caulking gun
- Putty knife
- Pressure washer
Guidelines For Decorating
Step 1 – Surface preparation
Painting exteriors is exactly similar to interior painting. The preparation of the surface is essential to achieve success.
The first step is to clean the surface of lichens, algae and moss. To get faster results, you can either scrub the surface with the pressure washer. It is essential to remove particles or dirt prior to allowing the paint to adhere.
The following step is to eliminate the peeling or flaking paint with the putty knife.
It is essential to fix any holes or cracks in the surface using caulk or new mortar. Once this is completed then sand it until it is the level and then clean it of any dust.
Step 2. Make sure the surface is primed
Priming is essential to protect the surface and increase the grip. It is possible to select a product that can be used to paint brick concrete, render, or brick according to the type of surface.
Follow the instructions of the manufacturer for applying the product. Let dry, and then allow to cure according to the instructions. In the majority of cases, it is recommended to give at least 24 hours prior to painting.Step 3. Paint the surface
Whatever kind of paint you choose to apply, mix the paint thoroughly before you begin your work. The ideal equipment to use will depend on the material. For surfaces with small or resharpening areas, a brush is the ideal choice.
For large areas it is recommended to use a roller. appropriate. If the paint you are using is compatible, you could also apply sprayers.
Make use of a brush to paint small areas. Be sure to apply an even layer of paint. Make use of the brush to apply paint with a crisscross pattern across large areas. To ensure an even outcome you must apply continuous pressure to the roller.
After you’ve covered the entire surface in paint, let it dry before applying another layer , if needed. Following the instructions to dry and cure the surface.
The effects can last for many years, depending on the method you apply it and the kind of paint for masonry you applied.