Metal paints with high-sheen and gloss are mostly used for wood and metallic. But, they are also used to paint ceilings and walls that are subject to significant traffic or in areas where there are high levels of condensation. What are the most important things to look for when choosing a gloss or high-sheen paint?
What is the difference between products based on oil and non-oil? What are the most appropriate colors for doors and windows?
There are a lot of products available that are available, and it’s difficult to pick the best one. We’re here to assist. We’ve tested and rated the highest gloss and high-sheen wood, metal and ceiling paints available in the UK. Here are our top choices.
|Link||Rust-Oleum 750ml Universal Paint - Gloss Canary Yellow*||Dulux Quick Drying Gloss*||Crown Quick Dry Gloss*||Dulux Easycare Bathroom Soft Sheen Emulsion Paint For Walls *|
Price incl. VAT., Excl. Shipping
Price incl. VAT., Excl. Shipping
Price incl. VAT., Excl. Shipping
Price incl. VAT., Excl. Shipping
|Get Latest Price*||Get Latest Price*||Get Latest Price*||Get Latest Price*|
In More Detail
All sheen paint products in this article
Best UK High Sheen Gloss Paint Reviews & Comparisons
Rust-Oleum 750ml Universal Paint - Gloss Canary Yellow
If you want to get creative by painting a border of a different colour around the wall or doing some other sort of design, you are only limited by your imagination.
- This is a multi-surface product, meaning that it can be applied to various surfaces like wood, plastic, and metal. Since its ingredients allow for use on ceramics, you can use this paint for your tile colour update.
- The Rust-Oleum Universal paint is a combination of paint and primer. Again, this saves you a bit of money on a primer that you don't need and cuts back on your preparation time.
- In my experience with updating and remodeling, Rust-Oleum creates easy-to-use paints with efficient dry times. Universal Paint is no different. It has a touch dry time of two hours, a handling dry time of eight hours, and allows for good recoats after 16 hours.
- Apply 1-2 coats of the product with a suitable brush or roller
- Coverage - Up to 9m2/litre.
- Touch dry in 2 hours. Handle after 8 hours.
- Apply a second coat after 16 hours if necessary.
- Full hardness after 7 days.
Dulux Quick Drying Gloss
For metal and wood interior painting, Dulux Quick Dry Gloss paint is a fantastic high-sheen choice. It is safe to apply to areas that have poor air circulation due to the water-based formulation.
The product is notable for its low odour, speedy drying time, as well as other excellent characteristics. Quick Dry is available in various modern colors and is simple to apply with a variety of tools. Two coats are usually enough to achieve good outcomes. However, certain colour modifications might need additional coats.
The product is able to dry in under one hour due to its rapid drying. It could take up to up to 6 hours for the item completely to dry, based on the conditions. Don't close freshly painted doors or windows until the paint is completely dry.
One litre of paint will provide 16m2 of coverage. Self-priming reduces the time required to apply and also costs. The paint is available in 750ml tins as well as 2.5L tubs that come in 25 shades. Quick Dry paint comes in three appealing colors: Gloss, Eggshell and Satinwood.
- The formula made of water is low in VOCs and is safe for use in enclosed areas. It is odorless which can be used in children's bedrooms and bedrooms.
- Rapid drying times and powerful coverage lower cost. Two coats are enough to achieve acceptable results on the majority of surfaces.
- Brilliant White is not yellowing and can last for a lengthy period of time. Other colors can be dried to beautiful contemporary shades.
- There is no need to apply an undercoat if applying a self-priming formula. We suggest applying primer to the wood prior to painting.
- It is easy to clean the brushes using warm soapy water.
- The manufacturer recommends that you apply the paint using the use of a paintbrush because of the quick drying formula, there are some marks from the brush may be left behind on the coat.
- Surfaces that have been previously painted using oil-based paints have poor adhesion.
- It is possible to require at least two coats to have a complete coverage. This is particularly the case when you do significant color shifts.
Water-based high-sheen paint for wood and metal in nine modern colors
Crown Quick Dry Gloss
Crown Quick Dry Gloss, another water-based high-sheen paint that can be used on metal or wood, is also available. Crown Quick Dry Gloss can be used for both exterior and interior applications. It is available in nine colors and covers up to 16m2/litre. This product is perfect to be used on windows and doors frames as well as skirting boards and radiators as well as wood furniture, among other uses.
The paint's low content of volatile organic compounds make it suitable to use in enclosed spaces. The paint is fast to dry and is easy to wash by wiping it clean with a damp cloth.
The product is available in two sizes: 750ml and 2.5L. Additionally, it comes with an extremely high amount of covering power. In the majority of instances, two coats should suffice. A third coat might be needed for significant color changes.
Pure Brilliant White was the only one we tried among all the colors. The paint is strong and long-lasting. It does not fade with time. The primed surface is better for the paint.
The drawbacks are that the product dry too fast to allow paint marks on the surface to develop. The manufacturer doesn't recommend spraying it or rolling it, which means you could end up with an uneven outcome.
- Paints that are water-based dry fast and can be used in enclosed spaces. It can be retouched within less than an hour.
- The formula can be used for both indoor and outdoor applications. The high-gloss finish is long-lasting.
- The gloss paint can be easily cleaned using a damp cloth. The wood- and metal paint is suitable for windows frames as well as doors, radiators, and many more purposes.
- The product is available in 2.5L Tins and comes in a range of modern colours. One litre of the product can be used to cover up to 16 square meters.
- Water-based paints are not as adhesive to surfaces that are not primed and oil-based paints.
- Due to the speedy drying process, the formation of marks from the brush are a concern. It is possible to improve the result by making use of the use of a roller.
This paint is perfect for areas with high traffic.
Dulux Easycare Bathroom Soft Sheen Emulsion Paint For Walls
Bathrooms are known to be havens for mould as they are a naturally damp environment. The damp is unavoidable, but the mould can be.
With Dulux’s dedicated bathroom emulsion, you are going the right way to helping to keep your bathroom a healthy one. The MouldTec formula can resist mould developing for up to 5 years.
- Reviewers raved about its ability to cover even the most unsightly old mildew stains and water damaged areas.
- Actively repels moisture so it cannot soak into the wall beneath and create a mould friendly environment.
- Users reported that even in bathrooms with heavy use, the water beaded and walls wiped dry with no paint transfer.
- The extra thick formula can be hard to work with, users reported that some jobs took double the expected time.
- Does require a little more wall prep. One reviewer commented that without preparation, lifted and bubbled areas fomed in sections.
- Most users reported needing to do 3-4 coats to get a really robust and even finish.
Johnstone’s One Coat Gloss
Johnstone's One Coat is a excellent choice for surfaces that require a fresh coat of paint, but aren't able to afford. The premium paint is available in a double-formulated formula that can be applied to exterior and interior surfaces including metal and wood.
One Coat's self-undercoating formula is an incredible power of covering. One Coat is simple to apply with the paintbrush. It covers about 10m2/litre. The high-sheen paint is simple to apply and is available in the size of a 1.25L handy jar.
The limited color palette is a disadvantage. It is only it is available in Brilliant White. This shade works with every design and is suitable for use in a variety of configurations.
The product is of high-quality, and the formula's non-yellowing makes sure it lasts. We suggest using the product in conjunction with a primer to improve its longevity.
- Interior and exterior paints that have high-sheen can be used on wood and metal. Self-priming one-coat formula is economical and helps to save time.
- It's easy to apply with either a paintbrush or roller. No undercoat required.
- This handy 1.25L paint container is able to cover around 12.5m2. One coat of the thick formula will give an excellent coverage.
- Only available only in Brilliant White. It could require several coats to get adequate coverage on darker surfaces.
- The product's dense consistency is not compatible with sprayers for paint. Johnstone's One Coat can be applied using a paintbrush or it can be rolled.
- The performance of unprimed wood isn't as great as that of the self-priming formula.
Metal and wood can be painted using water-based high-sheen paints, oil-based paints and water.
Popular Gloss High Sheen Palette
Gloss and high-sheen paints are utilized mostly to paint metal and wood fittings (doors windows frames, doors and radiators) however, there are some paints that are suitable for use on laminates, ceramic, plastic and even the masonry.
When selecting the colour, the primary thing to consider is the type of surface to be painted. White is the most popular color for windows, doors and radiators, as well as fences, or rails. It’s not the only choice. You can make your interior look more attractive by painting the windows and doors with colors that complement the walls that are already painted.
The classics of the past are green and dark brown. There are a variety of options for modern greys, however there are bolder options like burgundy and dark red.
Blue is an excellent colour for homes that are Mediterranean in style or situated on the coast. The neutral shades add character and elegance to the traditional white.
Walls and ceilings with high-sheen paints are ideal for areas with heavy traffic. The surrounding environment can influence the color choice. For instance, dark hallways and stairwells can be benefited by a lighter tone which increases the brightness.
In a kitchen white and yellow are great choices for kitchens. White, blue ivory, turquoise and blue are great bathroom designs. Paints with high sheen are a great option for a child’s space. In this case bright colors like green, orange, and purple are ideal.
Primer and paints for wood, metal and plastic.
How to use gloss paint
- Gloss paint
- Masking tape
- Roller tray
- Drop the cloth
- Putty knife
Step 1. Make sure the surface is prepared
Gloss finishes for exterior and interior woodwork or metal are beautiful and long-lasting. There are a variety of shades and formulas to choose from such as liquid, non-drip and one-coat.
Surface preparation is crucial to ensure perfect results, no matter the formula or color.
It is important to remove any flaking or peeling paint prior to painting metal or woodwork. Sandpaper can smooth the surface. It’s important to eliminate any oil-based paint prior to making the change to water-based paint. In the event that you don’t, the new paint may not adhere.
Step 2. Make sure the surface is primed
Surfaces that are not primed are able to be painted using self-priming or single-coat gloss paints. To increase the coverage and adhesion we suggest priming the wood with bare.
Apply a primer in accordance with the instructions of the manufacturer. Let the primer dry for at minimum 24 hours. Then apply the paint.
Step 3: Choose your paintbrush
High-sheen and gloss paints can be applied using either a roller or sprayer, however, they’re usually too thick to use sprayers. Due to bristle marks, applying gloss paint using the use of a paintbrush is more challenging. It is essential to select the right brush.
It is possible to use 25mm or 50mm brushes to finish the majority of tasks. However, you’ll need the finest bristles. The LG Harris Platinum Brush Set includes five paintbrushes with high-quality synthetic bristles, ergonomic handles and premium bristles.
Step 4: Paint the surface
Once the primer is dry and you are ready to paint. It is recommended to paint from top to bottom since most glosses with high-sheen and high-sheen acrylic paints are fast drying. When you’ve finished a section, check for drips and repair any damage prior to moving to the next.
If you require another coat, let the initial coat to dry overnight , and after that, apply a thin coat of paint on top. It must dry completely before you even touch it